23d Infantry in Alaska

I have had the honor to have served in the 1st, 2d, and 4th of the 23d Infantry as part of the 2d Infantry Division, USARAL (US Army Alaska), and the 172d Brigade (SEP). I have seen all and parts of the published histories and noticed that none of the "cold war" service has been written. There is virtually nothing between the Korean War and Vietnam. The 23d is now serving valiently in the Mid-East. I think these soldiers need to know the history of those dark days between the wars.

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Coming Home


We three cheechakos were wondering if we'd died and gone to hell. The Company came in looking like death warmed over. The wind, subzero temperatures, lack of sleep had turned all the men into a form of zombie. We got really insecure.

The commander proclaimed a day off, us newbies pulled the duties while everyone else slept for nearly two days. There followed the cleaning of the stoves, drying of tents, and preparation for the post-operation inspection.

I met my squad leader, Staff Sergeant Salazar. He was a quiet professional type who went through my gear with a fine tooth comb. He nearly lost it, though, when he found the wool boot socks that my grandmother had darned. He had me set up my wall-locker and foot-locker displays. The amount of measuring, folding and polishing that went into that was absolutely astounding.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My Dad was in the 2nd Platoon of Company B second squad from 1959-1962. He won USARAL Biathalon Championships in 1962 AT Fort WainWright. He Remembers Sgt Salazaar. His Platoon leader was Lt Wise.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger albert said...

I was with the 514 Med Company at Ft Rich from 12/60 to 12/62. Was a motor pool grease maokey. Wasn't in Alaska a couple months when they sent me on Operation Willow Freeze.
I remember those guys with the 82nd wasn't too pleased about perticipating in Willow Freeze. Tell you the truth, I really didn't like it neither, being a Southern boy born and raised in New Orleans. Al

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Sourdough said...

Tina, your Dad wasn't named Middleton, was it?

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Sourdough said...

It was cold, wasn't it

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Otis said...

I remember Wise, Middleton and Salazar...Name Otis Williams...Sourdough what's your name?

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Sourdough my dad was Middleton. Clarence Middleton Jr. or Junior

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Sourdough my dad was Middleton. Clarence Middleton Jr. or Junior

 

Post a Comment

<< Home