23d Infantry in Alaska

I have had the honor to have served in the 1st, 2d, and 4th of the 23d Infantry as part of the 2d Infantry Division, USARAL (US Army Alaska), and the 172d Brigade (SEP). I have seen all and parts of the published histories and noticed that none of the "cold war" service has been written. There is virtually nothing between the Korean War and Vietnam. The 23d is now serving valiently in the Mid-East. I think these soldiers need to know the history of those dark days between the wars.

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Operation "Willow Freeze"


We were packed up and sent by train to the maneuver area just in time for the end of the operation to help load the Battle Group up for its return to Fort Richardson. The maneuver had seen the 23d act as aggressors against the 1st Battalion of the 187th Airborne from the 82d Airborne Division. In these exercises, the aggressors always lose. It is interesting that the Airborne Commander had his Battle Group jump into the landing zone wearing Steel Helmets, black finger gloves, black leather combat boots, and field jackets with no liners or hoods. None of the Arctic gear that had been provided. They hit the blast at -40 degrees ground temperature. It was a simple matter to capture the whole outfit, by trading a chunk of firewood for their rifles. These guys were in sad shape. This stopped the exercise while they re-equipped themselves. At one point, Bravo Company of the 23d, on snowshoes, outran a ski equipped 187th company to put them out of action.

7 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Dk said...

What year was "Willow Freeze"?
I was stationed at Fort Richardson, Alaska from July 1959 to Feb. 1961
Co. C 1st BG 23 Inf.
"I got to see Alaska by Foot"
Dk

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Sourdough said...

DK, Willow Freeze was Mostly in Late January early February 1961

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Dk said...

Sourdough,
That is what I thought,..but not sure,..been a long time.
I was quarted in Hq waiting for my orders to go home,...in my match box. haha
C Company was in the field and I was baby sitting guys from the stockade going to Doc & Dent. appointments.
Have you been back up there,...or are you still there??
DK

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Swamp Fitts said...

I was there for Willow Freeze (1860-1963). I was with the 514th Med Grp (Dispensary) You were right about those guys jumping. We had our hands full with frost bite, and one guys shoot didn't open.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was attached to the 37th field artillery. I drove an M59 and fortunately it didn't break down.

Memories still remain.

Ted

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Scott Kaiser said...

Has anyone heard about stealing the fuel from the tankers and an overturned military vehicle truck that contained a gas generator, some food, blankets and according to the FBI classified documents two, M-2 carbine rifles that were stripped from that vehicle? The year was 1961. Or, anyone know or heard of Ed aka Edwin aka Teddy Kaiser who was very friendly with army personnel at Ft. Richardson. Thanks, if anyone has any information or remembers the events please contact me scott-kaiser@hotmail.com

Please title in subject line Ed Kaiser, thank you!

Scott

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Archie Neal said...

I came to Ft. Richardson on Nov. 10 1959 and left on Dec. 13th 1961. I was in Battery A 37th field artillery we spent a lot of time in the field including operation Willow Freeze.
I had a love/hate relationship with the Army but I enjoyed artillery and our field maneuvers Memories are reruns of actual life events and are usually more fun than the original event, nostalgia has that effect.
I enjoyed reading the comments here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home