23d Infantry in Alaska

I have had the honor to have served in the 1st, 2d, and 4th of the 23d Infantry as part of the 2d Infantry Division, USARAL (US Army Alaska), and the 172d Brigade (SEP). I have seen all and parts of the published histories and noticed that none of the "cold war" service has been written. There is virtually nothing between the Korean War and Vietnam. The 23d is now serving valiently in the Mid-East. I think these soldiers need to know the history of those dark days between the wars.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Where it Started

The 23d has long been associated with the 2d Infantry Division, and began its long history with that Division. My first assignment after Basic Training in 1960 was with Echo Company, 2d Battle Group, 23d Infantry, 2d Infantry Division at Sand Hill, Fort Benning Geprgia. The Pentomic organization was the thing at the time. The Battle Group had 5 Rifle Companies, 1 tank company from the 40th Armor (equipped with M41 Walker Buldog Light Tanks) and 1 Artillery Battalion from the 37th Field equipped with some raggedy-ass 105MM Howitzers. We were stil armed with the M-1 Rifle, BAR, and browning M1919 A4 and A6 Machineguns. The AN/PRC 6s and 10s were the communications standard.

The 2d of the 23d at that time was a cadre only unit, supposed to conduct Advanced Individual Training. All it's equipment was in weapons & Equipment pools. All it's NCOs were Platoon Sergeants, or Instructors in committees. The Company Commanders were 2LT's right out of the commissioning process. The whole place was laid-back, with no sense of urgency anywhere. If it got done, fine, if it didn't get done, that was fine too. The units' filling up to TOE and subsequent assignment to the 11th Air Assault (Provisional) was just a gleam in the Army Chief of Staff's eye.

Peacetime armies are hell!

14 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Aeirie said...

Good start!

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Albert said...

I have pictures I took while with Co. B 4/23 172, would you like to display ?

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Albert said...

I served with Co. B 4/23 172 from may 1977 thru may 1979. I completed "Ski Instructor Training" Nov. 14 1978. I bought my first 35 mm camera while stationed at Ft Richardson. I have been getting the pictures I took transferred to digital, Would you like copies ?

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Albert said...

I served with Co. B 4/23 172 from may 1977 thru may 1979. I completed "Ski Instructor Training" Nov. 14 1978. I bought my first 35 mm camera while stationed at Ft Richardson. I have been getting the pictures I took transferred to digital, Would you like copies ?

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Sourdough said...

Albert, I would love to have them. I'm sorry I took so long to answer, but I got sidetracked from this project and haven't been here for a long time...so I missed all the comments

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Albert said...

To see the pictures I took 1977 to 1979 go to my facebook page.
Albert H. Roberts

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Jerry Dick said...

I served with Co D 2/23 from 1959 thru 1960 I completed "Ski Instructor
Training" in March, 1960. Then went on to "Mountain and Glacier Training"
In training we crossed Matanuska Glacier. And flying with that H-21 so under powered with just one 1820 P&W. In 2003 I Got the chance to fly as flight crew with a WWII B25J from MN to Eielson AFB and then to Elmendorf AFB for Arctic Thunder.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Technician 101 said...

The average earning of a commercial service technician residing in AK receives $89,000 every year while an HVAC R service technician is paid $36,000. Average wage of Ultrasound Technician in AL

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger David Floodstrand said...

My father was a 2nd Lieutenant based at Ft. Richardson, and was on the ski patrol, and did arctic warfare training there in the early 1950's. I was born in Anchorage in 1955. I have a pic if you are interested.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Clint said...

Just wondering if anyone here might have known my father. Howard Kearns Spec 4 Co B 1st Battle Group 23rd infantry. His nick name was Red. He had red hair. Was killed in car accident while off base 17 Feb,1962.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just a note, I served in C Company Airborne 4th Battalion 23rd Infantry from April 64 to July 66. I have lost most of my photos which is a real shame and also can not find any other members of my unit for follow up on "Polar Strike" February 1965. I had back surgery in 1970 and actually did get injured on that maneuver but can not find names to contact. We did not have the internet and claims without medical records or letters from witnesses do not hold up. By chance do you know of anyway to get names of Veterans that you served with?
John at jkeyner@yahoo.com would be helpful.

Thanks, lots of good memories.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My dad Hugh Sutherland was part of Willow Freeze I believe 1959-1962,I have pictures,he
also told me many stories.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Leslie G said...

Hi I just found this site! My husband Gerald (Jerry) Gould was part of Operation Willow Freeze.1960-1961. Our son and I would love to hear stories and see any pictures you have. He passed away in 2012. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Leslie G said...

Hi I just found this site! My husband Gerald (Jerry) Gould was part of Operation Willow Freeze.1960-1961. Our son and I would love to hear stories and see any pictures you have. He passed away in 2012. Thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home